There is not much of a difference between boxes used for moving and boxes used for shipping, however, when you need boxes for shipping, it is better to know about those tiny differences. Boxes used for moving generally are used cardboard boxes which have been reused several times. Shipping boxes on the other hand, are built for durability as they have to endure long and sometimes, hard journeys without damaging their contents.
Types of Shipping Boxes
Shipping boxes come in all shapes and sizes and they are all strong enough to hold many heavy objects.
- Boxes with dividers – they are used when shipping fragile and breakable objects which should not bump into each other. They can also be used to separate the smaller objects from the bigger ones put into one single shipping box.
- Mailing boxes – they also fall into the shipping category and you can get them with self-sealing tapes. For better durability, they come with long double folds which will not open accidentally.
- Printed boxes – these are good for businesses since the boxes can be custom printed with the company logo and contact details.
Tips for Easy Shipping
- Try not to use, used shipping boxes as they have already lost a lot in their durability and might not provide the support that you require for your items. They might have previous labels on them, which have to be removed before they are used, otherwise it could cause various delivery issues once the package has left your care.
- Use the appropriate packaging materials to make sure the contents are not damaged. For example, if the items are fragile, it might be a good idea to use bubble wrap.
- Check the bottom flap of the box for a stamp certifying the strength of the box. Generally, a shipping box might have undergone an “Edge Crush Test” or a “Bursting Test”. In case there is no such stamp, ask the customer service personnel to help you select the correct type of shipping box. They are sure to know the difference and can guide you.
- The boxes might have handles pre-cut into it, but it will be wise to strengthen them by using tape.
The general rule is that you can get shipping boxes in any shape and size. The box can be small enough to hold a pen or large enough to hold a refrigerator. Most of the time, boxes for shipping do not cost much since they are mass produced, come in regular shapes and sizes, and economical materials are used in their production, making them more cost effective.